Tuesday, August 22, 2017
Here are some 2018 San Angelo Livestock Show & Rodeo Updates:
Premium book will be posted by September 15 at http://www.sanangelorodeo.com/p/livestock337
Premium book will be posted by September 15 at http://www.sanangelorodeo.com/p/livestock337
Reference of Judges and Fees (Dates might not match current schedule below):
Most recent TENTATIVE Schedule Posted as of 8/22/17:
Here are some 2018 Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo Updates:
- The show has let us know that additional Premiums will go out in September
- Grounds admission prices are increasing this year - Season passes are now $35 and Adult Day Admission is now $15 per person
- The show is increasing the number of lamb and goat Auction Sale lots - Goats are adding 12 lots (1 per class) and lambs are being readjusted based on the sale percentages per breed (Adding a third class of Dorpers which will create 6 new sale lots for this new class)
- Turkey Toms will be shown in 2018; the top 50 hens and top 50 toms will be placed and sold in auction
- The Ag Mechanics show has a new supervisor, so expect some big changes - there is also a Technical School Scholarship available for graduating seniors ( two-year scholarship for a total of $9000; the show will award 5)
Notes from the Show:
- The show is adjusting their bedding issues between the heifers and the steers this year, so the schedule is being adjusted to accommodate that by moving up the time heifers have to be out on Sunday to give crews the time needed to clean and refresh stalls
- Parking - the show has stated that the red lot is not getting any bigger, please bare with them, they recommend parking in the lot across from 610 and taking the shuttle in
Junior Market Show Changes:
- The show is stalling by Club/Chapter this year!
- The standards of the lamb carcass contest are being reviewed, please expect some updates
- The Junior Market Barrow Show has increased the weigh back by 5 pounds per wave
- Wave 1: Market barrows weighing 20 lbs less than the minimum or more than 20 lbs above the official weight will be disqualified
- Wave 2: Market barrows weighing 15 lbs less than the minimum or more than 15 lbs above their official weight will be disqualified
- Junior Market Steer Show - Exhibitors will declare how they want to classify steers for Red, Black, or Other Cross Breeds (Steers classified out of the Red or Black Cross divisions will be classified as Other Cross)
Junior Breeding Shows:
- Junior Breeding Gilts - Gilts are going to be given pen assignments at 288 similar to barrows and we will be using the back dock and east wash rack to speed up move-in
- Junior Breeding Heifers - **Release times are being adjusted - Cattle will start being released at noon on Friday, March 9, as soon as the breed has finished showing. Beefmaster, Limousin, and Polled Herefords will not be released until 2 pm on Saturday March 10, because of how late the finish.
**These release time adjustments are meant to help with trailer traffic and helping to keep the barrows cool. Heifers will be released after barrows move in.
Junior Commercial Steers
- September 1st - Online Intent form Opens
- September 30th - Cattle must be purchased
- October 10th - deadline to enter online Letter of Intent and Postmark deadline for Original Scale Tickets to the show Offices
- New Contest for 2018: Ranching and Wildlife Video Contest; hosted the first week of the show, more info TBA
- Ag Science Fair & Ag Public Speaking - topic category and title of speech will NOT be required during online entry. This will be entered during the manuscript upload in January
Calf Scramble Progress Show
- October 27-28 at Humble Civic Center (Free to attend)
- Open to all current exhibitors in the Calf Scramble Program
- Heifers shown by division; Steers shown by weight
Here are some updates for the 2018 San Antonio Livestock Show:
To view the 2018 Summer Updates with schedule, livestock show, and tentative contest information published by the San Antonio Livestock Show click here
Breeding Show Ownership Deadlines:
- October 1, 2017 - Breeding sheep and boer breeding goat (must be Validated through breeding sheep/goat validation by October 31)
- October 31, 2017 - Wether dams and wether does (must be Validated through breeding sheep/goat validation by October 31)
- November 1, 2017 - Breeding beef heifers (Must complete ALL phases of heifer validation through the Texas 4-H & FFA Breeding Heifer Validation Program before November 1)
- December 1, 2017 - Breeding swine
Livestock Show Changes/Updates (see premium book & Summer updates for more details on these items)
- Junior Crossbred Gilt Show & Sale - 1 entry per exhibitor, Judge TBD,
- Junior Dairy Cattle - Other registered breeds (ORB) division will be added to the Junior & Open Dairy Cattle Show which will be held in conjunction with each other this year
- Junior Market Lambs - The Champion Medium Wool will be selected from three weight divisions (5 classes per division)
- Junior Market Poultry - There will be a Junior Turkey Tom Show judged by Keither Scott
- Junior Shoot Out (at the National Shooting Complex) - ENTRY DEADLINE has been moved to DECEMBER 1, 2018 to match all other entry deadlines
Judging Contest Updates:
- Junior Ag Mechanics - there are new divisions published for 2018
- Agriculture Public Speaking Contest and Agriculture Science Fair have revised categories published for 2018
- There is also a new Floriculture Contest that has been added this year.
The official team registration forms for the judging contests will be available a www.sarodeo.com in January 2018. These will be used for team designations during the check-in process of the contests. You must submit an entry form, not a team registration form, for the contest by the entry deadline this fall in order to compete.
Here are some updates for 2018 Rodeo Austin:
There are going to be some NEW Junior Livestock Shows!
- Breeding heifers - maximum of 2 entries
- Junior market steers are adding an AOB Red division to their show
- Junior market lambs are adding 2 Dorper classes to their show
- Junior market turkey show is bringing back the Turkey Tom division
- Junior market barrows are adding weight divisions (light weight, medium weight, heavy weight) to the Crossbred Division and only Division Champions will compete in the Crossbred Champion Drive
Animal Health Declaration Forms were implemented in 2016 and will continue - these should be posted around October 1, 2017 and need to be submitted by exhibitors at the Howdy Check-In Trailer at the show.
Ultimate Scramble Championship
- There are 160 spots available, there is a $30 entry fee
- Champion will take home the grand prize of $5000
- Spots are first-come, first-serve and only a CEA/AST can reserve the student spot
- Spots and entries open up October 1, 2017
- Purchase certificates can be used for any of the following livestock projects: market steer, market lamb, market goat, market barrow, breeding heifer, boer goat.
Tuesday, August 15, 2017
A couple helpful reminders for events and deadlines coming up this week:
- Thursday, August 17, is our County Achievement Banquet to support our 4-H'ers and their accomplishments this year
- Friday, August 18, is the deadline for turning in the following items with payment:
- Major Lamb and Goat validation tag orders (any lamb or goat that was validated for State Fair will need to be RE-validated)
- State Fair of Texas entries
Monday, August 14, 2017
With our Achievement Banquet coming up so quickly, we wanted to provide an update on t-shirts for this year. The 2016-2017 County Council was not able to finalize their design for the year and has made the decision to pass it on to the incoming 2017-2018 County Council. This means that we will not have t-shirts at the banquet this year. We will share information about shirts as soon as the design is completed!
Friday, August 11, 2017
Thursday, August 10, 2017
The world’s premier bull riding organization, PBR (Professional Bull Riders) began as a dream of 20 bull riders 24 years ago and is now a global sports phenomenon. On its elite Built Ford Tough Series, the PBR features the Top 35 bull riders in the world and the top bulls in the business. The PBR’s 2017 Built Ford Tough Series will make its first ever stop in Austin for the Wrangler’s Long Live Cowboys Classic presented by Frontier Communications on Saturday, Sept. 16 and Sunday, Sept. 17.
Travis County 4-H SAVES $10 on tickets!* To purchase tickets, call (512) 232-4343 or email GroupSales@erwin.utexas.edu Deadline to order is Friday, Sept. 15 at 3 p.m. For more information about this and other Frank Erwin Center Events, please visit us at www.uterwincenter.com.
*Discount excludes $20 and $300 Elite seats. No double discounts. Offer is subject to availability. Facility fee and convenience charges may apply. All information is subject to change.
Wednesday, August 9, 2017
The Texas 4-H Shooting Sports Team applications are now open through 4-H Connect. The information can be found at: https://texas4-h.tamu.edu/wp-content/uploads/2017-18-Texas-Team-Application.pdf
The deadline to apply will be September 13, 2017. Individual 4-Hers that apply must have a letter of recommendation from their CEA OR their District 4-H specialist. Applicants must ask the agent or specialist ahead of time.
The Texas Team is chosen in October to represent our state at the National 4-H Shooting Sports Championships to be held in Grand Island Nebraska in June 2018. There will be 9 discipline teams chosen: Air Pistol, Air Rifle, Smallbore Pistol, Smallbore Rifle, Compound Archery, Recurve Archery, Muzzleloading, Shotgun, and Hunting Skills.
The State event included 282 entries in 29 categories. Congratulations to each 4-H member for advancing to the state level. Travis County youth, with their placing and category, are as follows:
William Whitaker 2nd Place Food & Nutrition
Erica Masi 2nd Place Personal Development
Caitlin McCauslin 5th Place Public Speaking
All books are in transit back to the State 4-H Office where they will be sorted and returned to each District for distribution back to County offices and eventually to the 4-H members. Please be patient with the process.