National 4-H Council is pleased to announce a new opportunity, through the partnership with JCPenney Afterschool, which can immensely benefit both National 4-H Council and local 4-H youth. Through the “Care, Share, WIN!” promotion, JCPenney will distribute $1 million through a month-long Facebook campaign; offering the opportunity for students ages 13-18 to win a grant for their favorite charity and a college scholarship for themselves, from September 20 to October 3, 2010.
The campaign will have a two-pronged approach:
1. Customers will help allocate $500,000 to one of four after-school charities (Boys and Girls Club of America, The Y, National 4-H Council, and FIRST) by voting for their favorite charity. The winning charity will receive $250,000; second place $150,000; third place $75,000; and fourth place $25,000.
2. Youth will be invited to share their personal community service stories, to enter for a chance to win college scholarships and grants for their charity (must be a qualified 501c3).
a) Students will submit a 250-word essay about their community service along with a photo to be eligible for the contest. Entries will be collected for approximately two weeks. The top 50 semi-finalists will be identified and posted on Facebook for fans to vote for the top three finalists. The top three finalists will then be posted and voted upon to identify grand prize winners.
b) Each of the 50 semi-finalists will receive a $3,000 donation to a charity of their choice and a $3,000 college scholarship. The grand prize winner will receive a $50,000 donation to a charity of their choice and a $50,000 college scholarship. The second place winner will receive a $30,000 donation to a charity of their choice and a $30,000 college scholarship. The third place will receive a $20,000 donation to charity and a $20,000 scholarship.
- September 20: Campaign launches; voting begins to allocate $500,000 to after-school charities (voting remains active throughout entire contest period); students submit entries to the contest
- October 3: Last day to submit entries to the contest
- October 4-7: Fulfillment agency and JCP Afterschool identify top 50 semi-finalists and verify all eligibility requirements are met
- October 8-17: Top 3 finalists are posted online and voting for grand prize winner occurs
- October 21: Winner announced in conjunction with national Lights on Afterschool event
Please visit JCPenney’s Facebook page to learn more http://www.facebook.com/jcpenney (you must first click “Like” on the JCPenney page in order to vote and enter the contests)
Additional information about this promotion is located at http://www.4-h.org/resource-library/promotional-toolkits/detail/default.aspx?id=2002The partnership between 4-H and JCPenney offers many avenues for raising awareness, support, and dollars for local 4-H programs. We appreciate your time and hope you will spread the word about these contests so we can continue to raise significant dollars in support of 4-H!